A History Leading to Water Inflated Cofferdams
When it comes to the process of controlling or halting the flow of water, mankind was NOT the pioneer on the subject. While water inflated cofferdams may be the best solution, it wasn’t the first. We have the common beaver to thank for that groundbreaking discovery! Early on in history, dams were inspired by beavers who encouraged man to use piles of branches, twigs, sticks, stumps, and any other wood they had access to, laid intricately in order to divert or dam water. Until the early 20th century, cofferdams, which are temporary enclosures in or around a body of water, were built by filling containers (bags, tubes, etc.) primarily with sand, concrete and/or rock and then positioning and stacking the containers to form a barrier. However, these methods were extremely labor-intensive, cumbersome, sometimes ineffective, and non-reusable. Though the dam has been around since before the time of the pharaohs, there’s been constant improvements in the materials and overall effectiveness of the materials, which leads us to present day.
Today, we are fortunate enough to have the convenience of the portable, reusable, water inflated cofferdams at our disposal in any situation. These water inflated cofferdams offer an updated approach, with increased effectiveness, less required laborers, lower cost, as well as speedier set-up in emergency situations.
(The start of a cofferdam in the mid-20s)
Dam-It Dams, Inc. now uses on-site water to fill dual inner tubes that cause the water filled dam chambers to slowly and evenly inflate, forming a strong and stable cylindrical tube. As the inner tubes continue to fill, and the water pressure builds, the dam unfurls in a controlled manner to create the secure structure. The updated and efficient process provided by water inflated cofferdams allows workers to perform their otherwise difficult and dangerous “in-water” tasks in a safer dry environment by temporarily barricading the water or temporarily relocating the offending water from the site thereby permitting work to be done below the waterline.
(A fully inflated cofferdam filled with on-site water)
There are many advantages to using water filled dams:
- Fill material (water) is readily available at the present site in nearly unlimited quantities
- Water inflated cofferdams are easily and quickly filled with even distribution
- They can be molded to perfectly fit a lake bed, river bed, watershed or any other type of physical setting, and even around your residence, greenery, or other structures
- Water inflated cofferdams make for an excellent water-tight seal and help to ensure minimal escape of water, if any at all
- Water inflated cofferdams are reusable and easily installed to minimize additional investment costs, as well as being easy to break down on completion of the job
- Dam-It Dams’ water inflated cofferdams work with Mother Nature, not against her, to create effective barriers that leave only a minimal, if any, trace on the surrounding environment
- Geo-textile material is used to create the cofferdam, providing you with a strong puncture-proof surface, should debris find its way to the work site
For those reasons, and many more, these water inflated cofferdams are far superior to their predecessors, and even many of their peers, and will continue to prove their usefulness in countless varied projects. Dam-It Dams, Inc. is happy to provide you this affordable and invaluable tool that will offer peace-of-mind in numerous situations for years to come!