For centuries, sand bags and man-made earthen berms were the choices of necessity for holding back sudden increases in water levels. These types of temporary flood barriers are time consuming, labor intensive and often prone to failure. Levees and other new technologies have provided more permanent protection for areas subject to recurring flooding. However, none of these technologies is more effective or more efficient than a portable water-filled flood barrier that often can be installed on site in a matter of hours.
Flood Control Barriers using Cofferdams
A cofferdam (also coffer dam) is a temporary enclosure in or around a body of water that is constructed to allow dewatering, diversion or damming of a targeted area. In connection with floods, cofferdams prevent water from crossing established/safety thresholds.
Dam-It Dams, Inc. and other modern cofferdam manufacturers use on-site water to fill dual inner tubes that cause the dam’s chambers to slowly and evenly inflate, forming a strong, stable cylindrical tube. As the inner tubes continue to fill and the water pressure builds, the dam unrolls in a controlled manner to create the cofferdam.
(A Dam-It Dams’ cofferdam is installed in advance of rising flood waters)
Why Are Cofferdams the Best Solution to Flood Control?
Most experts agree cofferdams are the best solution for flood control; and Dam-It Dams’ cofferdams are superior for the following reasons:
- Adaptability– They conform to virtually every type of landscape and weather condition.
- Affordability– They are less labor intensive than traditional sand bags, use on-site water and are reusable
- Availability– You can select from heights of 1′ to 12′, widths of 2′ to 23′ and unlimited lengths
- Durability– Dam-It Dams’ cofferdams are made of industrial strength geotextile woven polypropylene materials that can withstand tremendous water pressure are puncture resistent. Workers can walk on them during installation and removal without fear of damage.
- Expandability– Multiple cofferdams can be connected as needed to form any length barrier.
- Portability– They go anywhere and are easy to transport. We can provide immediate and convenient delivery to your project site.
- Responsibility– Dam-It Dams’ cofferdams work with Mother Nature, not against her, to create effective water barriers that leave no- or only a minimal- footprint on the environment.
The coice is clear… and it’s yours to make.
For more information about Dam-It Dams’ cofferdams and their applications, go to damitdams.com.